Turkmenistan has successfully pursued a policy to improve road safety. Every year, in September, the action «Road Safety – the Peace of Our Life» is held, a number of new laws are adopted and existing ones are being finalized. In particular, the laws of Turkmenistan «On the fundamentals of the transport policy of Turkmenistan», «On transport security», «On traffic safety» were adopted. The main task of the last of these laws is to ensure the protection of life, health and property of citizens, the law also determines the legal basis for ensuring road safety and regulating relations between its participants. The law, consisting of 5 chapters and 34 articles, was adopted in 2012 and its main principles are:
1) the value of life and health of persons participating in road traffic, over the economic results of economic activity;
2) the priority of the country’s responsibility for ensuring the safety of road traffic over the responsibility of persons participating in road traffic;
3) observance of the rights and legitimate interests of citizens, society and the state while ensuring road safety;
4) program-targeted approach to activities to ensure road safety;
5) integrated use of technical means and structures, the use of which is regulated by the standards in force in Turkmenistan;
6) prevention of changes in the organization of traffic to increase the capacity of roads or other purposes by reducing the level of road safety.
Recently, great strides have been made in the field of road safety in the cities of the country. The road surface is being intensively realigned, preventive measures are being taken with the inclusion of road signs and pavement markings to help drivers negotiate curves, and separation of oncoming traffic lanes with wide central redundancy (or median) and median barriers to prevent cross-over incidents.In order to ensure the safety of people, pedestrian crossings are laid on the roads in certain places, appropriate road signs, traffic lights are installed, road illumination is improved at night, both ground and underground crossings are provided on many main streets, etc. Particular attention is paid to the construction of highways between cities. So, on January 24, 2019, the construction of the Ashgabat-Turkmenabat highway began, along which social facilities, car service areas and payment terminals will be built. All this will improve road safety.
Ensuring road safety is one of the most important tasks today. The active participation of each of us in this work is the key to our happy life and bright tomorrow.
II Year Student of the Faculty of
International Law of the Institute of
International Relations of the
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan.